Remove this ad

According to the latest HLD update only 54 players earned the secret item in the preview build.

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Oct 21 14 9:49 PM

Tags : :

Sound off my bretheren! 

What sort of items do you think will be hidden in the final game? Or more importantly, how ridicuously hard will they be to uncover?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Oct 22 14 11:20 AM

I think that the secrett is the cloak. Think about it, finding all the purple pieces is quite hard without a guide, most people that played proably didn't invest the time needed to find the secrets. 

Last Edited By: yoppyx Oct 22 14 11:24 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 22 14 11:42 AM

People probably got tired of repetitively running around in circles every time they missed one of the purple orbs (cause of the split paths and the one way doors). I said it before if they want to encourage players to explore the world they are creating, they can't penalize them with monotony for doing so.

Either way if only 54 people out of 10,000 couldn't be bothered to get the purple orbs that is a sign that the game needs to adjust the way it's designed. It's not even one percent of people who played the demo... and it's a just a demo for that matter. It's not like people needed to invest a lot of time to get all the orbs. I did it within 5 hours.... although about of that time 1 hour was probably spent redo-ing rooms just to get to an area I had already been in and wanted to re-check because I remembered something suspicious.

Overall I'm not particularly surprised by the stats. Seriously the percentage on a demo for people completing things should be 25% at least. There wasn't much else in terms of a goal to the demo. Find the 4 main orbs to unlock the big door at the entrance, and the only other thing is getting the cape. The only two things to the demo and not even 1% could be bothered to complete it all.

It's even worrying when you consider that the people playing the demo are people who backed the game because they were highly interested in the concept and enjoy video games like this (with the assumption in mind that most people who back a Kickstarter have a personal interest or want the product themselves). You would hope they would be interested in the game enough to find it's secrets.

Last Edited By: TheMaverickk Oct 22 14 11:51 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 22 14 12:08 PM

I agree a collectathon for secrets does get kinda tedious.
In A Link to the Past you would just find secrets that would power you up and in A Llink Between Worlds you would do a collecthon to get powered up. A link between worlds, although it was a collectathon, it removed sensless back tracking by adding a very handy mini map.
imageVSimage

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 22 14 5:43 PM

Some considerations: there may be a ton of people who play offline, or there is an error in their data collection. Maybe they intentionally made the secrets super difficult just for the preview build to find where the threshold is. or they know 99% of the players will play only for the story, don't care and will put in optional hidden gems for the dedicated few/completionists anyway.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 22 14 7:29 PM

I really can't believe only 54 people found the white cape...im convinced there's either a misunderstanding on how they got their metrics or there's another secret item that most of us really did fail to find. The white cape wasn't really secret...it was displayed and fairly indicative of what you needed to get it. That being said, if it's really the white cape, I feel special! I am one of them, haha...

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 23 14 5:13 PM

Someone just as him on twitter and report back here.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 24 14 3:48 AM

Taking into account that people with access to preview/beta where probably the most enthusiastic ones (e.g. those who just couldn't wait to play the game), I agree the 0.5% (~54/10,000) getting the secret item sounds tooooooo little. It wasn't so difficult to get the 16 shards, really, especially since it "teased" you with that locked door etc. For high-difficulty achievements, judging from Steam, a ratio of ~1% seems OK, but for mainstream achievements I'd look closer to 25-30%.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 26 14 11:51 PM

Aleonymous wrote:
Taking into account that people with access to preview/beta where probably the most enthusiastic ones (e.g. those who just couldn't wait to play the game), I agree the 0.5% (~54/10,000) getting the secret item sounds tooooooo little. It wasn't so difficult to get the 16 shards, really, especially since it "teased" you with that locked door etc. For high-difficulty achievements, judging from Steam, a ratio of ~1% seems OK, but for mainstream achievements I'd look closer to 25-30%.

The 1% margin should be reserved for things like "completed the game on hard" or "compelted the game with out losing a life" or "deciphered every secret code in the game".

This though was a demo and there are only two goals in it. The first is to unlock the big main gate, and the other is to deactivate the force field.It wasn't even that hard. So I think it is something for the developers to be concerned with. What they need to get is feed back from players to hear 'why they stopped looking for the purple orbs'. What kept them from completing that goal (assuming that was the secret item they are talking about ... although from everything shown it seemed to be pretty clear that getting the item was a secret).

The crew on the forums is pretty small at this point, so we kind of only provide a limited scope of feedback. A survey for demo tier players would be good to collect that information.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Oct 27 14 6:51 AM

Indeed. These forums activity is too low to draw any meaningful statistics. From my count, there's like ~10 of us who got the white cloak, and there should about about 10-20 more that checked the forum for hints on finding the purple shards, but never bothered to say anything. In this sense, 54 doesn't actually feel so off, so this comes back to what TheMaverickk said: that HM should look into this "problem" i.e. why only 0.5% of the preview players bothered to get the not-so-secret item...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Oct 27 14 10:54 AM

I finished the objectives and never went back to look for the dots. I was satisfied enough by what that journey felt like. Didn't want to spoil it for the full release. I have to imagine it's the same-ish demo they've been using for other press events... in truth, because it was just that loop, I could't be bothered finding the rest of those things. I do wish there was actual dev chatter on these boards tho

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Oct 27 14 4:18 PM

yoppyx wrote:
Do the devs ever come here?

A brief glance shows them updating via social media.. since I've been lurking here, I've never known them to say anything. The admin seemed to be someone just watching the board and reporting to the boss, but I wouldn't know anything about that really. More activity on the few neoGaf threads than here tho heh

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 30 14 12:23 AM

That's my understanding, as well. HM probably reads some of this (most likely through a proxy) but never posts or discusses anything. That's a surprisingly "silent" dev-style, considering its a crowd-funded game that got like 2400% (x24) the money they asked for...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help